Thursday, July 16, 2009

3 June 2009 - Day 4: Normans Bay to Eastbourne

6.30 a.m.

A morning of pottering, re-packing and making phone calls.
Andy and Della come over with a big fluffy dog called Meda. Andy asks about my pop-up tent, which he calls a "self-erection" tent. They have a proper tent, unlike my nearest neighbours who have something the size of a house and a 4x4 which could single-handedly destroy the ozone layer. Della's parents have recently moved to Whitstable, my home town.






























12.24 p.m.
Temp: 19.6C, humidity 42%, wind easterly, strong, and chilly.
Distance cycled: 8.3 miles
O.S Explorer Map No. 124/123


Not far to Pevensay Bay where I stop for a drink at the Beach Tavern newly acquired by Sonia and Steph. It was sadly neglected and Sonia tells me of her plans to turn it around, bit by bit as money allows. She invites me to return in a year's time to compare.



Cycle on through Crumbles and the new marina development, Sovereign Harbour. The architecture is faux wharf-warehouse, and there is a little Italy corner full of over-priced restaurants - Pablos, Piscari's,and Simply Italy. Further on I lose my way, marooned in a complex of new-build mascerading as old.































Further on I get help in re-loading my bike at the top of steep steps from Tony who has serious bronchitus and is out on his daily walk,then cycle along the forbidden promenade into Eastbourne and eat at the Old Bakery,





















before training it to Lewes where I'm staying with Penny and Dave.













Dave's group Contraband are rehearsing. Members Ian from Seahaven Cycling Group and Glen from the National Trust help me with my route over Beachy Head and Cuckmere Haven.