Thursday, August 23, 2007

5.8.07: Newchurch-Dymchurch-New Romney

1.50 pm:
Temperature 28C, humidity 41%, west wind, light becoming stronger. Mileage: 9 miles

Hurried ride through more marsh countryside to meet Sandra and Geoff who are driving out from Canterbury. They phone to say Dymchurch is so crowded there is no parking, they are exhausted by the heat and will try to meet up again later in the week.





I stop for icecream, followed by a wobbly ride along the front dodging small children. As the tide comes in people are de-camping from the beach and re-arranging themselves all over the promenade above.















Further along the front David is waiting for me. He is partner to Mollie, my respiratory nurse and I am staying with them in New Romney. I meet their dog Billie; Billie is thirteen and has the lung disease pulmonary fibrosis.





David rings bells at 11th century St. Nicholas's Church round the corner. He takes me up to the top of the church tower to see the view across the marsh.





Dungeness power station is visible on the horizon. I will be staying on the Ness tomorrow and Tuesday.